Wednesday 16 April 2008

Definitions...

I was thinking an important part of my idea is defining what I'm photographing. In a sense that's what it's about really, labelling people and putting them into certain social groups.

For example how do I define the working class?? I don't think i can use occupation because although a person may have a thriving business they may of been born into an impoverished family and grown up in a rough area. They may see themselves as working class because of this. Instead I think it's about identity and the common norms and values we share with each other. I think language, food and music can all contribute to how someone percieves themselves within the class structure. Going back to Chris Clunn's work, pie 'n mash has always been 'working class food'. Also certain styles of music (and to an extent subcultures) can be attributed to different classes. For example Punk and Oi! music has always been associated with the working class.

I'm still a bit unsure of where I'm going with this. I'm not so sure on the football idea anymore, we see football all the time. The media is saturated with it to an extent the subject has become quite boring really. I'll give it a go anyway, in the mean time I will talk to some regulars at the pub tomorrow and see if I find any inspiration from that. I have someone in mind that I would like to photograph...it all depends if she wants to do it or not.

No comments: