Tuesday 17 February 2009

Re-photographs

New photos up on flickr.

I've been trying to re-photograph the streets of Nottingham, taking similar angles to old Victorian images. I'm not going to create a kind of photo-montage type project, replacing a piece of an old photograph with it's modern equivalent. I'm actually rephotographing whole photographs.

It has been quite tricky so far, I've been using a wide angle lens on my DSLR (a format obviously not used by Victorian photographers) so getting the right angle and trying to fit everything into the frame has posed a few problems.

I'm considering black and white, medium format but I really don't want to get bogged down by film at this late stage.

Also I still have the problem of displaying the old images. I'm currently referencing 3 volumes of a journal called Victorian Nottingham, it was published by the Evening Post. I'm thinking of scanning in the images (with whatever text is around it) and printing them on photo-quality paper. Then I can display them underneath/next to my own prints. The A4 page layout will be familiar to the viewer so I don't think it's necessary to print them to the size of my own images. The original images would essentially be a form of supporting text, they give my own images a context so it is important they are included in the exhibition.

No comments: