Tuesday 3 February 2009

Nick Knight



The book Skinhead made me want to photograph people who could be considered 'different' and also the working class. People who aren't into mainstream culture interest me. Maybe it's because they reject the idea of conformity, conforming has always seemed quite a boring way of living to me. It's a little ironic that people who label themselves as a non-conformist often conform to the fashion, attitude, music and culture of their chosen social group.
The book is a detailed study of skinhead culture, it's not just a set of photographs. Knight said something along the lines of 'This isn't the truth, but it is my truth' (maybe paraphrasing a little there). That attitude towards taking photographs reverberated with me. It gave me a sense that even though my photographs can be criticised it is still what I witnessed and that they will always reflect that.

No comments: