Tuesday 12 May 2009

New Project

I need some help on refining my idea.

I want to photograph people's prized possessions. i want my subjects to also write up a memory that they relate to that specific object (in their own handwriting to emphasise the idea of individualism). I 'm looking at individuality and the idea of memory really. My main inspiration was Wim Wender's work at Photocinema in Derby. He took photos of what he experienced on his travels then printed a story relating to the photograph next to it. You will probably remember them if you went, the prints were in black and white.

The text aspect of project is important, I think it will give my work a deeper context. I don't know how to represent it though, I either scan in my negs and use photoshop, try and print them using traditional methods and then contact printing the text using an acetate print out. Or I could use the idea of handwriting in a seperate book. In fact, i've just had an idea, Why not make a book? Not a digital book like Hugh was saying but more like a scrap book but a bit more formal. I could use polaroids (or the fuji equivalent) to really enforce the idea of memory. The instantaneous nature of polaroid has always been a popular aspect when recording important memories and will also save me time.

I also thought of Rene Magritte's painting.



The idea that the picture if the object I'm photographing is not actually the object, it's only an image of that object is quite interesting. Also I think that my photograph will be able to invoke the same memories to the subject as the object itself. I think the photograph will also have it's own significant meaning to the owner of the specific object, the fact that is embodied in a photograph is seemingly quite special. The reason we photograph our family is to remember them and to remind us of memories we have of them. Do our most prized possessions do the same? Or do we rely on photograph's to remind us of the most important times in our lives?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks.

No comments: